Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I learned to can PEACHES

I am so excited. I learned how to can peaches this last week, and I ended up canning two bushel. I got 45 quarts of peaches from it. What a great feeling to see your work sitting on the counter in front of you. My kids all took turns helping, and it was so fun. We only had one mishap, which in my opinion turned out to be a small miracle. I had canned 6 canners full previous to this, but on about my 7th batch I picked up a bottle of peaches out of the canner to set it on the towel on the counter. I had no longer set it down, and it exploded sending hot peaches and boileing sugar water all over the kitchen. All of my kids were sitting around my island where I was setting the peaches. McKayla ended up getting burned on her leg, and some hit Tia on her arm. So grateful that that lid, or the glass, or someone getting burned worse, did not happen. Thank you for tender mercies, and small miracles. It was a good lesson for me too. Kids can help with everything, but when you are taking the hot jars out of the canner, everyone needs to move away. We made great memories doing this new project, and I had so much fun.

7 comments:

Becky A said...

wow girl! I have yet to learn that art. I do beans, but am scared of things happening like happened to you! SCARY!

Stacey B. said...

Wow!! Way to go!!
It has been years since I have canned peaches!! (Does that make me sound old?) To avoid breaking bottles or getting burned I always wait intil the entire bath cools down before removing the jars. Reading this kinda make me want to go out and buy a bushel..lol

Steph said...

You should, I will help you, it was kind of fun.

Jodi said...

Stephanie!! I'm so glad you learned to can peaches, because I wouldn't know where to start, and you are so nice to share!! Thanks for the peaches, we loved them!!!

Jeni said...

..and that is another reason why I have issues with canning.
I am so proud of you though! It is definitely a talent to can!

Tiffany said...

Hi Steph,
Carrie told me you had a blog so I hope you don't mind. I love peaches I just learned how to do beans this summer thanks to Becky.
It feels good to learn something new. love your blog!

Angela said...

My mom did all that stuff but I'm just not that ambitious. Good for you.